A Task Force of staff is working to update our website and consolidate the Volunteer, Teacher and Tutor tabs as one central resource for all our prospective and current volunteers to share and find information. I’m excited about some of our ideas for upcoming changes to the LCNV website. There’s to be a special section for current volunteers, which in turn be broken down into smaller categories. One of them will consist of questions that tutors frequently ask LCNV staff along with answers to them. I’m making a list of some questions to start things off. Here are the ones I’ve come up with so far:
- When my student and I have completed the texts originally allotted to us, how do we get others? Will we have to pay for them?
- Can I use Fairfax County’s inter-library transport system to return books to the Council’s library?
- How can I find a place to meet with my student?
- What should I do if the text recommended for use with my student turns out to be inappropriate?
- If I have a problem, whom should I contact, my Placement Advisor or the Council staff?
- Can my student and I visit each other’s homes?
- Can the Council provide a substitute tutor for my student when I’m away?
- What should I tell somebody who saw me working with my student and wants to be tutored too?
- Can I access materials in the Council’s library even though I’m unable to get there when it is open?
- Can my student be in both the Council’s tutoring and classroom programs simultaneously?
- Where can I get additional training in tutoring and/or teaching English?
- How do I join the tutor training team?
- How can I find additional resources to work on a specific skill (e.g., grammar, spelling, pronunciation) with my student?
- How do I know when it’s time to fill out a Quarterly Report form?
- My student wants me to help her study for the citizenship test , but I don’t know anything about it. How should I begin?
I’m sure there are many other questions which would be useful to include. Can you think of any? If so, I’d love to hear them.
-Elise Bruml, Director of Tutoring Programs