Attend Reading: A Family Affair on March 24thMarch 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM | Posted in AmeriCorps, Announcements, Class, Development, ESOL, Family Learning, Student Stories, Teaching, Tutoring, Volunteers | 1 Comment
Tags: 2012, alumni, AmeriCorps, americorps partners, announcement, barbara effron, Basic Adult Literacy, bob brown puppets, celebrate literacy, Children, community, family, family event, family fun, Family Learning, friends, gary lloyd, groovy nate, jacqueline jules, James Lee Community Center, Kalavaridhi, Kalavaridhi Dance School, LCNV, lcnv learners, literacy council, Loudon Literacy, march 24, NOW THIS!, performance art, RAFA, reading a family affair, reading is fun, student stories, students, teaching, thank you!, tutoring, voices from the glen, Volunteer, volunteers, Writing, zurii conroy
The Literacy Council of Northern Virginia will be bringing books to life at its sixth annual Reading: A Family Affair (RAFA). Come to the James Lee Community Center this March 24, 2012! Families will have an opportunity to experience the joys of storytelling by visiting a variety of venues that promise to take children (and adults) to far-flung places:
• SEE a Book (on stage performances by puppeteers and musicians)
• HEAR a Book (storytellers)
• BECOME a Book (audience participation)
• READ & WRITE a Book (reading/writing activities; book giveaways)
• CLICK a Book (guided computer activities)
Reading: A Family Affair is a free event that promotes the value of family reading activities, and nurturing children’s imaginations. This family literacy day is a great opportunity to introduce kids and their parents to the literacy activities available throughout the community; it is also a wonderful way for the Literacy Council to get the word out to potential volunteers, students, and businesses looking for a great mission to support.
• Bob Brown Puppets, a major children’s theater company for the past fifty years.
• Zurii Conroy, a master storyteller who began storytelling professionally in the sixth grade.
• Barbara Effron, a master storyteller who has entertained children and adults since 1983.
• Groovy Nate (Elnathan K. Starnes), a working musician and song-writer for over thirteen years.
• Jacqueline Jules, an award-winning author of 23 children’s books.
• Kalavaridhi Dance School, founded by Sheela Ramanath, performs Bharatanatyam, an Indian
classical dance form.
• Gary Lloyd, a renowned storyteller who has entertained hundreds of thousands of individuals
from Vermont to South Carolina.
• NOW THIS!, an improv group that has delighted audiences since 1990.
Come out and experience storytelling through dance, theater, and music. Join LCNV at Reading: A Family Affair, and celebrate literacy.