At Goodwin House Bailey’s Crossroads, LCNV student and GHBC staff member Jake says he “is grateful to be part of this class” and for “the opportunities to learn while we are working or after working hours.” He appreciates the help from his resident coach, Mildred (Min) Sack, how she is “very good and very supportive to me, she is always encouraging me to learn my pronunciation.” He says that “we always have a second chance of learning.”
The summer session for LCNV’s Adult English classes starts June 1, and student registration runs from May 20 – May 27. Please direct anyone who needs to register for class to our updated Summer 2015 class schedule. Note that students can go to any registration site to sign up for any class.
The Literacy Council of Northern Virginia (LCNV) offers two types of classes for adults who want to learn English: ESOL Learning Centers (ESOLC) and the Family Learning Program (FLP).
- ESOL Learning Centers offer ESOL classes three times a year to students who want to improve their English speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. Classes teach adults about American culture and life (workplace and finance, health and nutrition, civics and community, etc.).
- The Family Learning Program provides ESOL classes for parents or caregivers, while their children participate in reading and writing activities, and receive homework help. At least twice a month, the children join the adult class for PACT (Parent and Child Together Time) activities. The class also encourages reading as a family through workshops, book give-a-ways, and fieldtrips.
LCNV also offers a conversation class at the James Lee Community Center. The conversation class is free and provides an opportunity for students to practice their English speaking and listening skills.
Please contact the Literacy Council at (703) 237-0866 for more information.
Classes are offered in the Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- Students must register prior to class.
- During registration, students pay a $40 registration fee (for summer session only) and take an oral placement exam.
- Partial and full Scholarships are available.
This week students in our Family Learning Program visited the Plum Center for Lifelong Learning. They participated in an adult ESOL class there and met many of the students. We hope that some of our students will graduate from our program and be able to attend Plum Center classes.
Congratulations to Kitty Porterfield, LCNV’s Board President and Alexandria’s 2015 Board Leader of the YearMay 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment
LCNV is proud to acknowledge our Board President, Kitty Porterfield, for being selected as this year’s Board Leader of the Year by Volunteer Alexandria at the 17th Annual Business Philanthropy Summit. This award is given to an individual for their extraordinary commitment to volunteerism, board service and support of nonprofit organizations in the community.