As 2015 comes to a close, all of us here at the Literacy Council of Northern Virginia (LCNV) would like to take a few moments to reflect on the last year, and to thank you for being a part of our wonderful community of learners, volunteers, donors, community partners, and supporters. Some of our notable accomplishments this year include:
- Added three new sites to our Family Learning Program
- Served over 1,500 learners
- LCNV volunteers provided over 30,000 hours of service
- Completed the pilot program for the Destination Workforce™ initiative, which delivers career-specific language and literacy training
- Awarded the Bank of America Neighborhood Builders Grant, which recognizes strong nonprofit organizations that provide essential services to their communities
- Featured in the 2015-2016 Catalogue of Philanthropy: Greater Washington as one of the region’s best community-based charities
- Board President Kitty Porterfield recognized by Volunteer Alexandria as Board Leader of the Year
We would also like to take this time to remind you that tax deductible donations are due by December 31st, so there is still time to make your year-end gift! Twenty-six percent of LCNV learners receive scholarships to pay their $60 class fee. Your donation can help cover their fees as well as offset the additional costs of providing teachers and books. You can also still take advantage of our matching gift challenge* and see your donation dollars go further.
We hope that you are enjoying the holidays, and thank you once again for all that you do.
* During LCNV’s matching gift challenge any new gifts or increase from your last donation will be matched by an anonymous donor up to $20,000, so your gift will have an even greater impact on LCNV learners. The maximum individual match is $2,500.
Thanks to everyone who participated in Giving Tuesday last week, showing their support to the Literacy Council of Northern Virginia (LCNV) and the charitable giving movement. Along with continuing to raise awareness about the importance of adult literacy, we received over $4,400 in donations! As the holidays approach, if you haven’t made your end of the year gift yet please consider a donation to LCNV.
We’d also like to remind you about two exciting events coming up this week – our annual Holiday Potluck Party on Tuesday December 8 from 6-8pm at the James Lee Community Center and a Conversation and Book Signing with Tom Gjelten on Thursday December 10 from 7-8:30pm at the Arlington Central Library. All are welcome and we hope to see you at one or both free events!
LCNV’s Holiday Potluck Party on Tuesday evening is a chance for students to take part in a holiday tradition from this country, with fun for the whole family. There will be pictures with Santa, arts and crafts, and new this year – the opportunity to win Target gift cards as door prizes. There will also be a video game station with games like FIFA! The party is a nice continuation of class and further educational experience, as we are providing conversation starters to help students practice their English.
Then on Thursday, hear author and NPR correspondent Tom Gjelten discuss his latest book, A Nation of Nations: A Great American Immigration Story. The book describes the dramatic and compelling story of the transformation of America during the last fifty years, told through a handful of families in Fairfax County. With special guest, Delegate Mark Keam, whose story is featured in the book. One More Page Books will be there selling copies of A Nation of Nations, with 10% of all sales benefiting LCNV.
p.s. Holiday shopping on Amazon? Support LCNV by making purchases through AmazonSmile. Go to smile.amazon.com and use your same Amazon.com login. Select the Literacy Council of Northern Virginia to ensure that 0.5% of all eligible purchases that you make goes to LCNV. Thank you!